Monday, June 30, 2008



Did you know that heart disease is the number one killer in women yet only 21% of women consider it a health issue?

I lost my Mother at 56. She had her 1st stroke at 38,double heart valve replacement at 49 (St. Jude), Triple Bypass at 51. She lost her battle after renal artery surgery ( a side effect of heart disease and build up in her arteries) at 56 and was found deceased after throwing a clot after surgery at home, two weeks later. My Grandfather died the same night of heart failure.

My Father was the "healthy" one and passed away at 54 after a double valve replacement a week after he had a heart attack at work. He started feeling pressure at 9am at work and went to the hospital at 5pm. If he would have recognized the symptoms at 9am and gone to the ER, he would still be with us today.

Become an advocate, know your numbers and make a difference. Education is key.

www.goredforwomen.org


Dear Deanna:



Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Heart Disease Education, Analysis and Research, and Treatment for Women Act (HEART for Women). I appreciate hearing from you.



I am pleased to report that I am a cosponsor of the HEART for Women Act (HR 1014). Heart disease and stroke are the number one killers of American women, and the death rate has risen in the last 25 years. This bill would reduce that rate through improved health education, gender specific analysis and research, and increased access to screening for women. It will ensure that women and their doctors have information about heart disease and stroke and the latest treatments.



Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this important issue, and please do not hesitate to let me know whenever I may be of service.


Sincerely,
Chris Van Hollen
Member of Congress

No comments: